What is a web hosting service?
Simply put, a web hosting service makes your web page or website accessible on the world wide web. If you wanted to build a house, you would have to purchase land and when you wish to build a website online, you need to rent space on a server in order to store content.
When you buy a hosting plan, web hosts will supply the tech needed for the safe workings of your website. They will be responsible for things such as servers and the secure transference of data to browsers.
How Does Web Hosting Work?
Websites essentially live on physical servers which store, receive and send data. When you visit a website and you want to visit their blog page for example, your computer will connect with their server and the webpage will be delivered in your browser to view.
Types of Web Hosting Services:
Well, there are 6 types of web hosting services. These include, Cloud, Shared, VPS, Managed, Dedicated and Colocation and this is how each one functions:
- Cloud hosting (or cloud computing) is basically the delivery of software, databases, storage and servers via a virtual computer called the cloud. The advantages of cloud hosting include fast load time as well as increased security.
- Shared hosting is where a bunch of websites are kept on the same server. It’s the cheapest type of hosting available and a popular choice for small businesses and personal blogs.
- VPS (Virtual Private Server) works via virtualization technology which means it’s a virtual server inside of a physical server. It’s a piece of hardware that acts like an array of individual servers.
- Managed hosting is where the user gets a server all to themselves. Benefits of this type of hosting include scalability, extra security and backup recovery. Managed hosting is most suitable for large companies that handle a lot of data.
- Colocation hosting is described by many tech experts as purchasing a house for your server. Your host will provide you with storage space, internet connection and electricity. Colocation hosting provides businesses with improved connectivity.
- Dedicated hosting is when a physical server is leased by a single business client, giving them more command over the machine. Dedicated hosting is great for customers who are looking for a higher level of security.
How to choose the right service for your business?
Each web hosting service offers different plans which include distinct features, pricing, security and storage. Tips that can help businesses make the right choice include;
- Identifying your website needs
- Reading customer reviews
- Researching contracts, customer service and uptime
- Making sure that the host has server reliability
- Getting the proper bandwidth
- Finding out about the web host’s security features
When businesses make the effort to choose a trustworthy web hosting company by doing their research, they are less likely to run into issues further down the track.
Finding the right web host for your business shouldn’t be difficult. Some recommended web hosting providers include; Bluehost, Hostgator, GoDaddy and Domain.com. Blue Host is responsible for powering over 2 million websites around the world and GoDaddy has a guaranteed 99.9% uptime.